Applications are open until 10 September 2023
The Photography Studio is launching a four-month residency programme, as part of which Seven emerging artists will be required to produce one or two artworks during their 16-week residency.
Resident artists will be asked to respond to a theme given at the beginning of their residency, which is meant to inspire and guide them to produce a relevant yet subjective masterpiece.
Through the support of a well-curated programme, Photographers in Residence is an artists’ hub designed to support and advance the photography and curatorial skills of emerging artists. These artists will be at an early stage of their career and may not yet have established a solid reputation as an artist in the photography community and/or do not have commercial representation yet.
The residency is research-led, focusing on generating discursive exchange and allowing local engagement with artistic opportunities. The offer from the Department of Culture and Tourism - Abu Dhabi includes the use of workstations in the Photo Lab room, a studio with a cyclorama, lighting equipment, 24-hour access to the facility, curatorial mentorship and a solo display.
Nationals and residents of the United Arab Emirates are welcome to apply for the four-month residencies.
Photographers in Residence are offered:
- A dedicated workstation in the Photography Studio
- 24-hour access to the studio and its facilities
- Curatorial support and mentorship
- Help in collating a professional portfolio
- Workshops and prompts
- Recourse to financial support
- Free access (+1) to Manarat Al Saadiyat events
- Restaurant and art shop discounts
- A solo exhibition in 2024
Requirements for the application are:
- Artist's CV
- Contact email and phone number
- Short biography (max. 100 words)
- Artist statement (max. 150 words)
- Personal photo
- Passport copy
- Copy of Unified Number (UAE nationals)
- Copy of Residency visa (Non-UAE nationals)
Please submit your documents HERE