Capturing the Invisible
Open call until 30 June 2023
Entrants must be between 16 and 35 years old.
The Photography Studio at Manarat Al Saadiyat announces a digital photography competition entitled 'Capturing the Invisible' is being held as part of the programme accompanying the photography exhibition 'The Shot'. The competition aims to celebrate 'intangible sustainability' by supporting the new generation of talented UAE national and resident photographers based on their creative efforts to capture and reflect 'intangible value'.
Sustainability continues to be at the heart of the fashion and design industry, so why not highlight the power of art in a competition through which photographers can express their creativity in a way that supports this greater cause?
Sustainable Art can simply be defined in two different but often interrelated ways: making by using sustainable materials and methods; or art that encourages dialogue about sustainability. It is about finding creative ways to focus on the pressing issues: of climate change and environmental degradation and their negative impact on humanity.
About the Competition:
The competition aims to support young photographers, nationals and residents in the United Arab Emirates in their reflections to integrate the abstract into the creative photo while keeping focused on sustainability. Sustainability is a worldwide concern and, with the United Arab Emirates set to host COP28 this year, the competition challenges young people to take a contemporary approach to picture sustainability.
To picture the intangible through the lens of 'Sustainability' is to consider the value of the resource of energy itself, as well as its social impact globally. The theme of the entries could revolve around capturing intangible aspects of sustainability, such as community spirit, resilience, empathy, hope, perseverance, or cultural heritage.
The competition works to appreciate and promote the importance of archiving photographic and artistic visual documentaries as existing art. The competition aims to attract local talent and hopes to contribute visually to the promotion of aesthetic values and cultural awareness.
Manarat Al Saadiyat Photography Studio/Department of Culture and Tourism - Abu Dhabi (DCT Abu Dhabi), in collaboration with TIME-IN-TEMPO.
The project is supported by the Embassy of Switzerland in the United Arab Emirates on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of diplomatic exchanges between Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates.
Calendar and Conditions:
OpenCall: Until 30 June 2023 for portfolios from young people residing in the United Arab Emirates.
Entrants must be between 16 and 35 years old.
Winners will be announced in July.
All winner images will be announced on the organizers’ social media channels and in press releases to local media.
THREE GOLDEN WINNERS WILL BE INVITED TO SWITZERLAND FOR 4 DAYS IN THE SUMMER OF 2023.
For any further information, contact us at:
To Apply click HERE
Participation Terms and
- The competition is open to all residents and nationals of the United Arab Emirates. Entries may be rejected if the sponsoring organization or its agent, in its reasonable discretion, believes the entry does not conform to the competition rules and conditions.
- Entrants must be between 16 and 35 years of age.
- Entries are limited to 10 images and no less than 6 images per portfolio/photographer.
- There are no restrictions on the subject matter, except as outlined in the rules and definition of the specific theme.
- Entries must originate as photographs (image-still/motion captures of objects via light sensitivity) made by the entrant on photographic emulsion or acquired digitally.
- By submitting an entry, the entrant certifies the work as his own (aliases are not permitted).
- The entrant permits the sponsors to reproduce all or part of the submission free of charge in media related to the competition or exhibition. This may include low-resolution posting on a website.
Note: Entrants who indicate that their images may not be reproduced or used will not be eligible for awards or inclusion in audio-visuals of the exhibition and could be subject to disqualification by the competition organizer/sponsors.
- The exhibition assumes no liability for any misuse of copyright.
- All images must be in JPG file format. Entries must originate as photographs taken by the entrant and be uploaded as digital files through the participant’s account on the competition website.
- Images taken by mobile phone will be accepted but they must be of high resolution.
- Submission of an entry signifies acceptance of all rules and conditions of the competition.
- Each portfolio and each image/work must have a unique title.
- No title or identification of the maker shall be visible anywhere on the face of an image.
- All the information needed will be collected via the website entry system. Entrants have a maximum of 30 characters available, not including invalid characters (such as: / \: * " <>).
- The full rights of ownership in the winning images will belong to the creator, but the organizers/sponsors have the right to use them for non-commercial purposes.
- Qualifying images: The organizer will communicate with the creator to obtain a high-resolution copy.
- Outstanding qualifying images: The organizer will communicate with the creator to request their official United Arab Emirates identity documents and personal information.
- The entries will be evaluated by a neutral jury committee composed of DCT Abu Dhabi and their partner sponsors.
Each entrant owns the copyright of the submitted images.
The entrant certifies the work as his/her own.
The entrant permits the organizers to reproduce the entered material free of charge for promotional purposes related to the competition, such as the exhibition catalog and website, unless specifically stated otherwise by the entrant by written request.
Exhibitions of the Selected Photographers:
'Man and Time', Musée International d'Horlogerie (MIH) (International Museum of Horology), La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.
EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland (Campus /Energy center - Cultural Affairs.
COP28, Expo City, Dubai and Manarat Al Saadiyat, Abu Dhabi.